Voices

Jindal School students whooshing at a 5k on the UT Dallas campus

Hear about the Jindal School of Management from the voices of the people who know best.

The best way to understand how the business school experience at the Jindal School can impact your life is to hear directly from the people who have experienced it themselves. JSOM alumni and current students, as well as faculty, staff members, and community partners have a lot to say about what you can expect from becoming part of the Jindal School community, working hard with your classmates and finally walking off the stage, diploma in hand, ready to advance in your career.

Testimonials

Jindal School students, alumni and partners talk about their invaluable academic experiences at the UT Dallas Jindal School of Management, providing advice, perspective, and vision. Hear about how:

• the Career Management Center has helped connect students and employers;
  • the Study Abroad program is expanded students’ perspective on their role in the world;
  • JSOM PhD students are producing important research and earning faculty positions at the world’s top universities; and
  • exceptional high school students are making the most of their JSOM experience through the Jindal Young Scholars Program, the Davidson Management Honors Program, and the UTDserv Community Service program.
Julio Tovar

Julio Tovar, Bachelor’s in Accounting

Accounting Major

I am honored to receive the JYSP Scholarship, as I know that only very few get the chance to receive it and the opportunity to study without worrying about how to pay for college. This scholarship will allow me, upon graduation, to pursue a career in which I can support my family and myself and provide a higher standard of living than we have.

Laura Gatins

SVP, Team Member Experience, Altair Global

For the past decade, I have led Altair Global’s powerful partnership with UTD’s Center for Global Business. Through this collaboration, we have provided internships leading to full-time hires, hands-on student projects, leadership sessions, conferences, recruitment pipelines, and guest lectures. In return, we have gained fabulous talent, visibility into future leaders, and valuable networking. A particular highlight was hosting Taiwanese students, whose LinkedIn praise sparked great organic marketing. This rewarding partnership has empowered students to further their careers while allowing us to access their energy and perspectives.
Melissa Zurita

Melissa Zurita

At UT Dallas:

Freshman in Accounting

If you work off campus, are there things you’ve learned at UTD that you apply at work?

I work off-campus as a customer service representative at PLS Check Cashing. I was able to attain the job because I took only online classes last fall for my first semester of college. I have learned a lot from my previous classes, such as Speech and Business Communications. Some of the major things that I learned was how to professionally communicate with my customers as well as handling certain situations that could potentially rise in the business environment.

What’s most surprising about college?

The first year of my college has been very different from a typical freshman year because of COVID-19. Even so, I have experienced the overall impact of what college is supposed to teach you. I took all virtual classes from my home in the fall and worked full time which meant that I had to manage my time, keep track of my assignments, and be able to work both at home and at my job. At first it seemed too much for me to handle, as I had never had so many things to keep track of. But I soon was able to overcome that major challenge. I’ve been able to experience a bit of the adult life and I hope to continue to expand those experiences when I take on-campus classes next fall.

Amir Meshki

Amir Meshki, BS in Finance ‘20

Wholesale Credit Analyst, Bank of America

Internships

• International Rescue Committee, Summer 2017
  • U.S. House of Representatives, Fall 2018
  • LP Analyst & U.S. house of Representatives, Spring 2018
  • General Motors Financial, Summer 2019
  • Stonehenge Growth Capital, Fall 2019 – Spring 2020

Study Abroad:

• Washington D.C., United States, Fall 2018
  • DMHP Peru International Trip, May 2019
  • DMHP Croatia International Trip, May 2018

UTD Involvement:

• DECA
  • 180 Degrees Consulting
  • Financial Leadership association
  • John Quincy Adams Society

How has DMHP enhanced your UT Dallas experience?

Transferring into DMHP undoubtedly changed the course of my college experience far more than I could have ever imagined. The program has given me countless opportunities to excel and grow both personally and professionally. The students and staff in DMHP are amazing and welcoming and it truly feels like I am part of a family.

Lesly Vazquez

One of the reasons I love The University of Texas at Dallas is the vibrant sense of community that thrives here. Our campus constantly holds engaging events, workshops, and activities ranging from comedian shows to movie nights and organization events. Furthermore, the unconditional support and wealth of resources offered by esteemed professors and staff at the Naveen Jindal School of Management allows students to grow personally and professionally.
Ariana Morales

Ariana Morales, Bachelor’s in Accounting

BS in Accounting

This scholarship allowed me to attend college without any loans. I plan to take full advantage of this opportunity and get a master’s degree in accounting along with a CPA certification. Right now, I am part of the Undergraduate Accounting Club, the Undergraduate Success Scholars and the Princesses with a Purpose organization. I hope to create lasting memories and connections while a student at the Jindal School.
Yesenia Lopez, CPA

Yesenia Lopez, CPA, BS in Accounting ’15, MS in Accounting ‘16

Accounting Projects, Initiatives, and Systems Senior Analyst, Toyota Financial Services

Internships

• BKM Sowan Horan, 2012-14
  • Crowe LLP, 2013
  • EY, Summer 2014
  • Deloitte & Touche, Spring 2015

Study Abroad:

• DMHP D.C. & N.Y.C. Trip, Spring 2013
  • DMHP International Trip Sydney, Australia, May 2015

UTD Involvement:

• Sigma Lambda Alpha Sorority
  • The Accounting Club
  • United Greek Council (Multicultural Greek Council)
  • Alpha Beta Psi

How did DMHP enhance your UT Dallas experience?

The Davidson Management Honors Program (DMHP) helped prepare to me for a demanding and rewarding career in public accounting. I received the opportunity to volunteer, travel, attend luncheons and networking events, and work with the top faculty and students at UT Dallas. These opportunities helped me develop networking skills that now help me maintain my relationships in my career. I learned to thrive in challenging environments, communicate effectively, and produce high quality work. Most importantly, DMHP helped me value corporate citizenship and team development. I use these skills daily when I interact with clients, my teams, and management. I also use these skills to promote thriving team environments where team members respect individuality while providing quality results. DMHP provided me with life experiences and lessons that cannot be taught in textbooks, and I am privileged to have received the opportunities that I did while being a part of DMHP. I continue my involvement and personal growth by being a member of the DMHP Alumni Affinity Board.

GDI Student – Canadian Company

GDI Student – Canadian Company, Class of Fall 2020 (Renewable Energy)

We have conducted market research with the GDI program to help an overseas partner company, to establish a business in the U.S. Through this three-month-long program, not only for the oil & gas industry, but we also gained knowledge for the landfills, telecom, and agriculture industries. I am grateful to be part of the GDI program. Thank you to the University of Texas at Dallas, Center for Global Business for the learning opportunities and support to complete the materials. I discovered so much about the industries in Texas that I did not know about before.
Megha Goyal

Megha Goyal, BS in Global Business and Finance ‘21

Finance Rotation Program Associate, Capital One

Internships:

• Thomson Reuters, Summers 2018 & 2019
  • Capital One, Summer 2020

Study Abroad:

• Hong Kong, China, Fall 2019

UTD Involvement:

• Art UTD
  • Financial Leadership Association
  • Women in Technology and Business

DMHP has been an integral part of my experience at UT Dallas. It has provided me with so much from challenging academics with great professors,a strong professional networking platform, to some of my best friends and peers that I know I could rely on for anything. DMHP has really helped push me in so many different ways and has given me so many valuable experiences that I wouldn’t be able to find elsewhere.
Hui (Vivienne) Zhi

Hui (Vivienne) Zhi, MSF SPRING 2020

I worked in the Finance Lab from Fall 2019 to Spring 2020 as a student worker. Any day I was on campus, the Lab was a must-go stop. Like we always say: “I’ll meet you at the Lab.” The Finance lab offered some great resources to current students, whether we’re working on course-related papers, case competitions, or just want to self-learn and get familiar with some financial modeling databases. Every semester, the lab arranges a variety of events to enhance the students’ experience and provides an excellent platform for students to network and talk to professionals, professors, and alumni.

Giovanny Lopez

Giovanny Lopez

At UT Dallas:

Junior in Finance

What’s the most surprising thing about being in college?

The most surprising thing I have found out about college is how the professors and staff are so willing to help.

What is a class you enjoy and why?

A class I am enjoying right now it my Commercial Property Risk Management and Insurance class, mainly because it has opened my mind on how I view the different aspects and impacts of how risk is all around us.

What is a class that was particularly hard that, in the end, you mastered?

The most challenging class I have taken would be Business Law. By far this is the class I studied for the most and would not mind having to take it a second time!

Naha Kaisani

Neha Kaisani, BS in Supply Chain Management and Marketing ‘21

Technical Account Manager, Qualtrics

Internships:

• Toyota, Summer 2021

UTD Involvement:

• Orientation Leader
  • Freshmen Mentor
  • Dean’s Council
  • Business Professionals of America

DMHP has enhanced my UT Dallas experience by allowing me to engage with our school while still receiving a more rigorous, challenging, and rewarding education. The program has granted me a group of students that constantly push me to be my best and also allows me to give back to a community that has done so much for me.
Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis, BS in Marketing ‘21

Internships:

• Jackson Durham, Summer 2018
  • Chancey Charm, Fall 2018-Current

Study Abroad

• Vienna, Austria, Summer 2019

UTD Involvement:

• JSOM NOVA Ambassadors
  • UTD FOCUS
  • Collegium V Honors Program
  • McDermott Scholars Program

DMHP has not only given me the academic challenge that I was looking for in my business classes, but it also has given me professional development opportunities, ways to grow, and people to support me along the way. I absolutely love volunteering with DMHP students, attending events, competing, and pushing each other to be even better and to serve UTD more. This community has become like a family to me!
Joshua Jernigan

Joshua Jernigan, BS in Accounting

BS in Accounting

I’m working hard to attain the career I have passion for – CPA. Your contribution not only helped me, but also my family and many others. My family isn’t financially capable of putting me through college. The only way I had a chance to pursue higher education was through scholarships.
Zhengrui Jiang

Zhengrui Jiang

Professor of Information Systems, School of Business, Nanjing University

The faculty at the Jindal School of Management is world-renowned for their high research productivity. What is less known is that the training PhD students receive here is also top-notch. Despite their busy schedules, PhD student mentoring is always a priority for the professors. I feel very fortunate that I finished my PhD in Management Science at the Jindal School of Management.

Angelee Liou, FLP’21

Fu Jen Catholic University, Taiwan / Statistics and Information Science

I appreciate that I got this opportunity to join the Future Leaders Program. During the program, I met lots of talented people and professionals who broadened my horizons and let me know how to reach my goal in the future. I also love the time I have group discussions with teammates. Their ideas always inspired me and made me think in different ways.

GDI Student – Swedish Company

GDI Student – Swedish Company, Class of Spring 2021 (Building Sensors, Internet of Things)

Worked as the Project Lead of the GDI program, we have learned to provide insightful research concerning market analysis, entry strategies, and industry channels for an international IoT solutions company. I learned valuable skills relating to managerial operations, team coordination, project coordination, and creating a productive environment for my team and company. I utilized all facades of my college education concerning disciplines of marketing, HR management, managerial accounting, business models and strategies, finance, organizational behavior, and international business.
Devendra Kale

Devendra Kale

PhD in Management Science, Accounting Assistant Professor,
University of Rhode Island

My time in the PhD program at the Jindal School of Management was about continuous intellectual development and critical thinking skills. Prior to joining the PhD program, I was unaware of the intricacies of academic research. But the well-structured program combined with continued and priceless support from my advisors made this uphill ride a memorable journey. It also helped me discover my passion for academic research and transform into an independent researcher. I strongly recommend Jindal School of Management to future PhD students.

GDI Client Company – The United Kingdom

GDI Client Company – The United Kingdom, Company Founder & CEO, Fall 2022 (Automotive Insurance Marketplace)

The GDI program was extremely valuable, the work was accurate following the project specification and in depth. Learning weekly on our project calls gives a true feeling of progress making our calls something exciting to look forward to. Working with the students was something I had never done before, personally, it was a rewarding experience, taking the chance to talk about your business and your plans to a new audience is a fantastic refresher experience and one I would recommend.

Jenna Lowenberg

I always knew UTD was the place for me, as it offers challenges, invites growth, and delivers opportunities. I am appreciative of the prestigious degree plans and excellent faculty and staff that have set me up for success in my future!
See all Testimonials

Alumni Spotlights

Jindal School has more than 46,000 alumni worldwide who work in industries as diverse as renewable energy, Big 4 accounting firms, healthcare and nonprofits. Alumni have gone on to medical school, law school and to other universities as professors and researchers. They have started companies and impacted their industries in countless ways.

The graduates featured below have agreed to share the story of their Jindal School experiences. If you are an alumnus and would like to share your story, please contact Jeanne Spreier. If you’d like to find alumni you went to school with, join www.jindalconnect.com.

The Perdue Family

Connie, Caitlin and Brad Perdue

For the Perdue family, attending the Jindal School is a family tradition that stands out among many others. Parents Brad and Connie met while graduate students in the 1980s, and many years later, daughter Caitlin received her undergraduate degree as well.

Joe Warren portrait

Joe Warren, BS’11

Software Engineer, USAA

Each day, I strive to use best practices, creating beautiful and accessible experiences for our internal and member-facing systems.

Dilon Hanks portrait

Dilon Hanks, MBA’11

Aircraft Captain, Training & Safety Manager; Paypal Aviation Department

Hanks started his education with an undergraduate degree at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and has had a long career path to land his current job.

Arbuthnot Brandy

Brandy Arbuthnot, BS’99 MS’02

Tax Partner, BDO, USA LLP

In her current position at BDO, Arbuthnot assists accounting clients with their tax compliance and consulting needs including tax returns, tax provision preparation and review, assistance with tax implications of mergers and acquisitions, and other tax planning matters. She joined BDO, an international assurance, tax and financial advisory services firm, after earning her undergraduate accounting degree. Her master’s degree is also in accounting. “My degrees prepared me for a career in public accounting and the necessary qualifications for the CPA exam. Furthermore, my experience at UT Dallas prepared me to have success the professional world,” she said. BDO certainly covers the world, with offices in 167 countries.

Dewei Jiang portrait

Dewei (Wayne) Jiang, MS’13

Strategic Analyst, Midway Asia Head Office, Merlin Entertainments Group

Jiang, an MS/Finance graduate, has a broad range of responsibilities at Merlin, where he works in its Hong Kong office.

Chris Spartz portrait

Chris Spartz, MBA’11

Senior Associate – Risk Consulting, Contract Compliance KPMG

At KPMG, Spartz serves in multiple roles including reviewing contracts between his clients and their third party service providers to identify risks within the agreement and help his clients to ensure compliance with contracts, standards, policies and regulatory requirements. “I also collect, manipulate, analyze and interpret large data sets, and use results to develop recommendations for corrective and preventative actions for identified risks,” Spartz says.

Bob Lockett portrait

Bob Lockett, MBA’99

Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Harland Clarke Holdings

I had the opportunity to meet some great professors and hard-working students. Many of the folks in my classes were working full time.

Ernest Lowery portrait

Ernest Lowery, BS’08, MS’09

Assurance Director, PwC

Ernest has worked in the assurance practice at PwC for over 10 years. He has worked with public and private clients in a number of industries, including energy, industrial products, media and entertainment and technology. He most recently worked in a digital role, where his primary focus was helping to develop new tools to be used across the assurance practice. What he enjoys most is working with clients and his teams to complete a common goal.

Atanas Hansen portrait

Atanas Hansen, BS’11 MS’13

Senior Business Analyst; New York Life Insurance Company

Working for a 173-year-old company provides a fantastic environment to observe how business processes and technology evolved over time

Ankit Takallapaly

Ankit Takallapaly, MS’15

Software Development Manager, Amazon

At Amazon, Takallapaly manages a team of software engineers who are responsible for building data-driven solutions to support hiring needs for Amazon globally. “The information technology and management program at Jindal School helped me gain deep knowledge in data analytics, program management and people management,” Takallapaly says. “Looking back, these skills were an integral part of my career in the initial days. In my current role, I actually rely on all three of them equally to execute my responsibilities and deliver results.”

Michelle Ketsler portrait

Michelle Ketsler, MBA’14

Senior Manager, Vistra Energy

Michelle Ketsler, whose MBA studies included a concentration in finance and strategic management, is the senior manager for demand management and account service management at Vistra Energy. She is responsible for establishing and managing the governance of Vistra Energy’s retail technology investment portfolio and ensuring approved projects are aligned with the company’s strategy.

Christian Tellez portrait

Christian Tellez, MS’15

Senior Investment Associate, Diamond Realty Investments, Inc.

Tellez underwrites potential commercial real estate development projects across the country that his company may consider for investment. Tellez earned an MS/Finance at Jindal School. “The master’s degree I earned at UT Dallas 100 percent catapulted my career,” said Tellez, who completed his undergrad degree in economics at Texas Tech. “I was extremely hungry but I was struggling to get the attention of ‘big time’ finance players in Dallas due to lack of experience,” he says.

Chanel Ebanks portrait

Chanel Ebanks-Texada, BS’16

Watson Customer Engagement Account Executive, IBM

Ebanks-Texada has launched her career at IBM, where she is prospecting and generating business in the public sector.

Craig Weigel portrait

Craig Weigel, MBA’03

Human Resources Director, PepsiCo

Weigel, an HR professional for more than 18 years, has worked for multiple Fortune 100 global companies in various roles, including recruiting, mergers and acquisitions, compensation, and business partnership. He is most proud of his short-term projects in Asia and Europe, which broadened his cultural awareness and global business knowledge.

Eugene Gicheru portrait

Eugene Gicheru, MD, MBA, FACEP, MBA’16

Chief Executive Officer, Careculture Health Partners

Several physician colleagues along with myself founded CareCulture Health Partners, where I serve as CEO.

Walter Sutton portrait

Walter L. Sutton, Jr. , PhD’89

Adjunct Faculty, Consultant

Dr. Sutton, who earned his PhD in Business Policy and Strategy when Jindal School was just 14 years old, now serves on the school’s adjunct faculty, teaching Business Law. He’s had a far-ranging career that includes staff legal positions with oil and gas companies as well as Walmart; with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (in Dallas) and a presidential appointment to the Federal Highway Administration (in Washington, D.C.); and as chief of staff at UT Dallas.

Priya Singh portrait

Priya Singh, BS’15

Analyst, Goldman Sachs

Singh, who earned her finance degree at Jindal School, now is a Warehouse Asset Manager at Goldman Sachs and works as part of the Realty Management Division in Dallas. “My current job consists of working with consumer and student loan facilities to ensure loan management and assist with the lending business,” she says. She also assists the trading desk and bankers in New York City. Prior to joining Goldman Sachs, Singh worked for two years with GE Capital in its Commercial Leadership Program in Chicago and Wisconsin.

Paulina Jesionek portrait

Paulina Jesionek, BS’13, MS’15, MBA’15

Marketing Program Specialist, UT Southwestern Medical Center

Jesionek graduated cum laude in Fall 2013 with two undergraduate degrees – Global Business and Marketing. She delivered the commencement address that year.

Gaurav Shekhar

Gaurav Shekhar, MS’16

Assistant Professor, Jindal School Of Management, Ut Dallas

After completing his master’s degree in Information Technology and Management, Shekhar stayed at UT Dallas as a staff member and instructor. He now is program director of the Jindal School’s MS in Business Analytics and an assistant professor of instruction for information systems coursework.

Mark Fuqua portrait

Mark Fuqua, BS’79

Exec Vice President And Manager, Energy Banking Comerica Bank

Fuqua completed his BS/Business Administration degree with a finance concentration at UT Dallas when undergrads had been on the UTD campus a mere four years.

See all Alumni Spotlights

Newsletters

The Naveen Jindal School of Management has many audiences, and one way it reaches them is through electronic newsletters. Each newsletter may appeal to a specific group, address specialized topics or respond to particular needs. We encourage you to subscribe to any of our newsletters. See our most recent newsletter below. Current newsletters being published are:

Jindal School Now – January 2024

I hope you and your loved ones are doing well. The COVID-19 pandemic has affected many people. However, we at UT Dallas are prepared to deal with this situation. To protect our students and faculty, we have moved in-person classes to online teaching via Blackboard Collaborate. While it is a learning experience for us all, so far everything is going smoothly. We are optimistic that we will resume normal activities in the near future.

See all Jindal School Newsletters

MBA Podcast

Work-life balance. It’s at the top of everybody’s list of desirable career benefits. Now the Naveen Jindal School of Management offers students help on how to plan for this in their own lives: a podcast, formerly called “The Yet Another MBA G.O.A.T. Podcast” (Greatest Of All Time, naturally) has been re-branded as “Between Business & Life.”

An MBA student today. A balanced professional tomorrow. It’s another way that the Jindal School seeks to prepare students to become effective leaders in their future roles. The podcast offers new episodes monthly, featuring thought leaders who have achieved success in their careers as well as an excellent work-life balance. Each episode is designed to equip students with knowledge of business trends while inspiring them to manage both business and life.

Click the episode title to listen!

See all Podcasts
UT Dallas Jindal School students in a campus coffee shop requestion information

Request Information

Thank you for your interest in the Naveen Jindal School of Management, UT Dallas. Tell us a little bit about yourself, and we’ll send you customized information about our programs. We hope to meet you soon.

Request Information